The words incorrigible verbarian have described me since I won my first writing contest in the second grade. As an ex-paratrooper with the 82nd Airborne Division (which happened quite some time later, I should add), I tend to write stories that are as gritty as a grunt’s pile of three-week-old field gear. Coincidentally, my debut novel falls into the military science fiction genre. Contract of Defiance is the first book in the Spectras Arise Trilogy and was released to acclaim in Spring 2012. Contract of Betrayal, the trilogy’s second book, came out in February 2013, and the third novel, Contract of War, in July 2014. A few of my short stories are published in small horror and literary magazines. When not hunched like a Morlock over my writing desk, I also hunch over my editing desk (same desk, actually) as a freelance editor at Inspired Ink Editing.
Thirteen maybe-surprising-but-probably-not facts about me.
- The first live rock concert I ever saw was the Grateful Dead. The second was L7. I liked L7 WAAAAAYYYYY better.
- I am red-green colorblind, so please don’t fault my wardrobe choices.
- I make a mean chocolate fleur-de-sel truffle.
- Give me a minute to come up with another one. I’m enjoying this wicked awesome truffle.
- I’m a beer snob (but aren’t we all?).
- I love single-malt scotch.
- The longest distance I’ve ever run is 17.5 miles. It took me 2.5 hours, which turned out to be the perfect amount of time to compose a zombie short story in my head. Then I jumped into a bathtub full of ice.
- I often feel compelled to correct people who refer to a mixed group as “you guys.” Thus I am very used to getting strange looks.
- I collect art that is permanently affixed to my epidermis.
- The longest distance I’ve ever fallen is 13,000 feet (give or take a few feet). Fortunately, I had a parachute and the will to use it.
- I’m extremely afraid of things that live in water (almost without exception), but I love kayaking. Cognitive dissonance can be a comforting life strategy.
- When I was six, I decided I wanted to be a writer when I grew up.
- If I had to spend ten years at sea with no outside communication, I’d probably be content if I had the entire collections of Tom Waits’s music and Stephen King’s writing.
Visit me around the web, too.
- Living with the Dreaditor. Guest post with Liz Broomfield of Libroediting.
- Talking about editing with paranormal author David Neth.
- How running can save your writing. Guest post with Molly Greene.
- How to Digitally Format Your Book. Guest post on Where Writers Win.
- Self-Published Authors: How To Choose An Editor. Guest post with Molly Greene.
- Worldbuilding for Non-Planetary Engineers. Guest post with Susan Spann.
- 5 Self-Publishing Mistakes I Made Last Year. Guest post with Molly Greene.
- In the Spotlight. An interview with Maer Wilson.
- Author Insides. An interview with the Battered Suitcase Press.
- Chatting with Ryan Brooks at eyE[before]E.
- O.C. Author Spotlight. An interview.
- Whimsical dream interview with Amanda Palmer while aboard the International Space Station at Venture Galleries.
- Using Scrivener and Evernote. Guest post at Lit Central O.C.
- A chat about editing and writing on the Science Fiction and Fantasy Marketing show.
- Talking about writing with science fiction author Michael K. Rose.
- Chatting with best-selling horror author Martin Lastrapes about writing and marketing.
- Series Posts on Self-Publishing:
Week 1: Research. An overview and comparison of the self- vs. traditional-publishing paradigms.
Week 2: Business Plans. What an author needs to know to create and adhere to business plans and deadlines.
Week 3: Distributing Your Novel. The general considerations regarding distribution sites.
Week 4: Creating eBooks. Details to consider in regard to ebook creation, and why and how to do it.
Week 5: Plan ahead to hire an editor, proofreader, and cover designer. At minimum, start looking six months before you plan to publish.
Week 6: Promotion. An overview of marketing and promoting.
- Contract of Defiance: Winner of the 2010 Rocky Mountain Fiction Writers Colorado Gold Contest for best action/thriller.
- Good news giveaway from Bart R. Leib, co-publisher of Crossed Genres Publications.
- Contract of Defiance: Finalist in the Kindle Review Best Indie Book of 2012 contest.
- Contract of Betrayal: Semi-finalist in the Kindle Review Best Indie Book of 2013 contest.
Enjoy what you’ve seen so far? Sign up for my newsletter to get my writing-only news, including first looks at new stories, and invitations to join contests and giveaways. Thank you!